EDUC 698: MA THESIS/PROJECT SEMINAR
This course is an independent class to assist you in completing your culminating activity for your MA, either a project or a thesis. This cougar course website is designed to assist you with the writing portion of the activity as well as provide resources for your research and project development.
It is recommended that you take this class in Fall or Spring. To minimize your need to repeat the class it is suggested that you do not register for the class until you have your first three chapters approved, so that you are set up for success in one semester.
Make an appointment with you committee at the beginning of the semester and develop a timeline of what is due in order for you to complete your MA this semester. If you do not meet the deadlines, be prepared to take this course again next semester.
Purchase a copy of the Publication Manual of the American Psychology Association:
American Psychological Association. (2009). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Ed. Washington, DC: APA.
This book will guide you to use the APA format writing style. There is an APA Format Module below that has some extra resources to assist you as well.
Before registering you need to submit your Advancement to Candidacy Form with two attachments: Program of Study Form & Unofficial Transcript. This form requires 4 signatures: yours, your committee chair, your second reader and the program coordinator. This form notifies the CEHHS that you are preparing to graduate. Without this form you cannot complete the program. Please submit the following:
- Advancement to Candidacy Form: You can locate this form on the Office of Graduate Studies website: http://www.csusm.edu/gsr/graduatestudies/forms.html
- Program of Study Form: This form may have been sent to you by the program coordinator, if not down load one from the Orientation Module below and fill in your courses chronologically, identifying the units, grade semester and year.
- Unofficial Transcript Copy: This can be downloaded from your mycsusm account: https://my.csusm.edu/
Once you complete this process, your committee chair will request an EDUC 698 course with a crn specifically for them as an instructor. You will need to receive the crn and any necessary permission numbers from the committee chair person directly.
Here is the link to the csusm course schedule: http://www.csusm.edu/schedule/index.html
Here are the other courses offered this semester, Spring 2016:
EDUC 602: Schooling in a Multicultural Society - online w/ Dr. John Halcon crn 20649
EDUC 622: Research Methods in Education - face-to-face Tues MRK 208 w/ Dr. Sean Nank* crn 20648
EDUC 622: Research Methods in Education - online w/ Dr. Robin Marion* crn 22224
EDUC 628: Applied Research Methods - face-to-face Wed UH 441 w/ Dr. Toni Olivas crn 20838 - EDUC 628 is the writing support class.
EDST 635: Hardware Operations & Functions to Support Teaching/Learning - online Matthew Evans crn 22711
EDST 637: Instructional Technology Planning & Management - online w/ Matthew Evans crn 22712
EDUC 654: Biliteracy II (course taught in Spanish) - face-to-face Wed MRK 210 w/ Dr. Ana Hernandez crn 20832
EDUC 547: World Language Methodology - face-to-face in Spanish Thurs MRK 208 with Dr. Ana Hernandez crn 20871
EDMI 663: Teacher Leadership in Middle Level Education - Mon UH 441 w/ O’side Dr. Ron Pirayoff crn 22710
Contact the General Option MA Coordinator if you need assistance, Dr. Anne René Elsbree at firstname.lastname@example.org
STEPS TO COMPLETE YOUR THESIS/PROJECT
- Complete your chapters 1-5 and receive approval from your committee. Present your Thesis/Project at the School of Education Open House or another venue that your committee chairperson requests. MA SOE Open House & Poster Session - Thursday, April 28, 2016 @ 5 pm Location TBA
- Secure signatures on your signature page from your committee (advisor/chairperson and second reader). Make sure you download the correct form your thesis or project under the Required Forms at https://biblio.csusm.edu/thesis-submission
- Follow the Library ADA Format Instructions for making the document ADA compliant. *For assistance, email email@example.com(link sends e-mail) to setup an appointment to meet with an ADA consultant. Let them know the date/time that you would like assistance, and what errors you need help correcting.*
- Contact Bonnie Mottola at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment with Dr. Manuel Vargas, the Director of the School of Education to secure his signature on your Electronic Submission Certification Form. This form can be accessed under Required Forms on: https://biblio.csusm.edu/thesis-submission
- Submit your Thesis/Project electronically using the Library Electronic Thesis/Dissertation (ETD) Submission Instructions.
CURRICULUM DESIGN RESOURCES
These website can assist you to design your curriculum project. There are lesson plan templates and suggestions for what to include in a curriculum unit. Discuss what is expected with your committee.
The other modules in this website focus on the MA Program and the Research Thesis & Curriculum Project writing process.
MOST COMMON RESOURCES
This module contains some of the most commonly used resources.