EDUC 698: MA THESIS/PROJECT SEMINAR
This Cougar Course is Designed as a support for the Master of Arts in Education Program. This course includes modules for:
Topic 0: MA Orientation
Topics 1-11: Developing your Thesis/Project
Topics 12 & 13: MA Program Student Learning Outcomes/MA Syllabi Templates & MA Committee Process
The EDUC 698 course is an independent class to assist you in completing your culminating activity for your MA, either a project or a thesis. This cougar course website is designed to assist you with the writing portion of the activity as well as provide resources for your research and project development.
It is recommended that you take this class in Fall or Spring. To minimize your need to repeat the class it is suggested that you do not register for the class until you have your first three chapters approved, so that you are set up for success in one semester.
Make an appointment with you committee at the beginning of the semester and develop a timeline of what is due in order for you to complete your MA this semester. If you do not meet the deadlines, be prepared to take this course again next semester.
Purchase a copy of the Publication Manual of the American Psychology Association:
American Psychological Association. (2009). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Ed. Washington, DC: APA.
This book will guide you to use the APA format writing style. There is an APA Format Module below that has some extra resources to assist you as well.
Before registering for EDUC 698 MA Thesis/Project Seminar you need to submit your Advancement to Candidacy Form with two attachments: Program of Study Form & Unofficial Transcript. This form requires 4 signatures: yours, your committee chair, your second reader and the program coordinator. This form notifies the CEHHS that you are preparing to graduate. Without this form you cannot complete the program. Please submit the following:
- Advancement to Candidacy Form: You can locate this form on the School of Education Current Student Form website: http://www.csusm.edu/soe/currentstudents/formsandresources.html
- Program of Study Form: This form may have been sent to you by the program coordinator, if not down load one from the Orientation Module below and fill in your courses chronologically, identifying the units, grade semester and year.
- Unofficial Transcript Copy: This can be downloaded from your mycsusm account: https://my.csusm.edu/
Once you complete this process, your committee chair will request an EDUC 698 course with a crn specifically for them as an instructor. You will need to receive the crn and any necessary permission numbers from the committee chair person directly.
Here is the link for the 2016-17 Academic Year (Fall & Spring) MA in Ed part-time tuition fee and charges:
Summer classes are offered through Extended Learning and is not supported with state funds.
Here is the link to the csusm course schedule: http://www.csusm.edu/schedule/index.html
Fees Per Semester
Fall & Spring 2016 $2,906 for 1-6 units/ $4,322 for 6.1+ units http://www.csusm.edu/schedule/fall_2016/fees_and_charges.html
Summer through Extended $300 per unit plus fees https://www.csusm.edu/el/courses/creditcourses/summer/feesandpayment.html
Here are the other courses offered this summer and fall:
First Session June 6- July 9
EDUC 607: Teaching Writing w/ Technology - MTWR 8:30 m- 4 pm UH 271 w/ Laurie Stowell crn 33220
EDUC 622: Research Methods in Education - face-to-face Tues/Thurs 6-10:10 pm w/ Dr. Sean Nank* crn 33162
EDST 639E: Digital Storytelling - online Matthew Evans crn 33155
EDUC E643 Critical Ethnography in Ed - hybrid class Tues/Thurs 4-8 pm w/ Anne René Elsbree 33156
canceled due to low enrollment
Full 10 Weeks June 6 - August 13
EDMI E662: Curriculum Assessment & Instruction MW 6-10:10 pm w/ Rong-Ji Chen crn 33227
canceled due to low enrollment
EDUC E619: Teacher Inquiry to Improve Student Learning - online w/ Moses Ochanji crn 33157
EDUC E658: Dual Language Instructional Strategies - online w/ Dr. Ana Hernandez crn 33160 canceled due to low enrollment
EDUC E659: Assessment, Curriculum & Instruction for Dual Language - online with Dr. Ana Hernandez crn 33161 canceled due to low enrollment
In addition we have a Writing Workshop Institute offered through Dr. Laure Stowell.
FALL 2016 SCHEDULE
- EDST 630 01 40998 ISSUES & RES ED TECH 3 units ONLINE with Dr. Sinem Siyahhan STEM COHORT
- EDST 633 01 TOPICS IN ED TECH 3 units ONLINE with Dr. Sinem Siyahhan STEM COHORT
- EDUC 602 01 40944 SCH IN MULTICUL SOC 3 units 1730-2020 TUES with Dr. Ana Hernandez BILITERACY/BTSA COHORTS
- EDUC 622 01 40780 RES & METH IN EDUC 3 units 1730-2020 R-Thursday UNIV 444 with STAFF ED SP COHORT
- EDUC 604 01 42464 KNWLDG CONST & TEACH 3 units1730-2020 R-THUR w/ Dr. Elsbree BTSA COHORT
- EDUC 650 01 40931 PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT 3 1730-2020 WED STAFF 2nd YEARCOHORTS
Contact the General Option MA Coordinator if you need assistance, Dr. Anne René Elsbree at firstname.lastname@example.org
GRADUATION - COMMENCEMENT INFORMATION
Graduation Information, Graduation Checklist, Guest Info, & Grad Participation Form
What is the difference between graduation and commencement?
Apply for graduation by Week 7 of the semester you plan to graduate.
STEPS TO COMPLETE YOUR THESIS/PROJECT
- Complete your chapters 1-5 and receive approval from your committee. Present your Thesis/Project at the School of Education Open House or another venue that your committee chairperson requests. MA SOE Open House & Poster Session - Thursday, April 28, 2016 @ 5 pm Location TBA
- Secure signatures on your signature page from your committee (advisor/chairperson and second reader). Make sure you download the correct form your thesis or project under the Required Forms at https://biblio.csusm.edu/thesis-submission
- Follow the Library ADA Format Instructions for making the document ADA compliant. *For assistance, email email@example.com(link sends e-mail) to setup an appointment to meet with an ADA consultant. Let them know the date/time that you would like assistance, and what errors you need help correcting.*
- Contact Bonnie Mottola at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment with the Director of the School of Education to secure his signature on your Electronic Submission Certification Form. This form can be accessed under Required Forms on: https://biblio.csusm.edu/thesis-submission Make your appointment for week 12-14 of the semester. This allows you enough time to add the form as a pdf to your electronic document before submission week 15.
- Submit your Thesis/Project electronically using the Library Electronic Thesis/Dissertation (ETD) Submission Instructions: https://biblio.csusm.edu/content/e-thesis-project-and-dissertation-submission-guide The electronic submission is due week 15, the last week of classes on Thursday at noon pacific time. See the website above for the date details. If you miss this deadline, you will need to register for EDUC 698 the following semester to complete your MA.
CURRICULUM DESIGN RESOURCES
These website can assist you to design your curriculum project. There are lesson plan templates and suggestions for what to include in a curriculum unit. Discuss what is expected with your committee.
The other modules in this website focus on the MA Program and the Research Thesis & Curriculum Project writing process.
MOST COMMON RESOURCES
This module contains some of the most commonly used resources.