Children with recurrent abdominal pain and biofeedback

Children with recurrent abdominal pain and biofeedback

by Patricia Estrada -
Number of replies: 1

I previously posted a discussion about the connection between Guided Imagery or Hypnosis and pain relief in children with recurrent abdominal pain (RAP). Guided Imagery had the most evidence in this area. Yoga has also been briefly been studied without a significant benefit for pain relief in this population (Reust & Williams, 2018). There is a strong component of the Mind/Body link in children with RAP. Biofeedback has been shown to be a good tool to use to show the effect of mindful relaxation on the physical body (Rakel, 2017). One exploratory study showed improvement for children using biofeedback showing that more research should be done as this may be a supportive treatment for children with RAP (Stern, Guiles, & Gevirtz, 2014).

Rakel, D. (2017). Integrative Medicine. Elsevier Health Sciences.

Reust, C. E., & Williams, A. (2018). Recurrent Abdominal Pain in Children. American Family Physician, 97(12), 785–793.

Stern, M., Guiles, R., & Gevirtz, R. (2014). HRV Biofeedback for Pediatric Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Functional Abdominal Pain: A Clinical Replication Series. Applied Psychophysiology & Biofeedback, 39(3/4), 287–291.

177 words

In reply to Patricia Estrada

Re: Children with recurrent abdominal pain and biofeedback

by Jazel Ruivivar -

Hello Patti,

this is actually very interesting! I floated to GI one time and I learned about biofeedback. It is very effective with patients, especially with pediatrics who suffer from constipation. they normally have constipation because of lack of fiber intake, water intake, and just not going to the bathroom often. from what I learned, children would be shown this video of like a fish swimming in waves and whenever the fish goes up, for example, they are instructed to contract or push like to have a bowel movement. and this goes in waves, mimicking and promoting peristalsis. its been very effective from what ive heard from the doctors and nurses, but have not seen actual studies or statistics about it. I think its a great topic to look into. thank you for sharing!

Jazel

135 words