Acupuncture for Chronic Prostatits

Acupuncture for Chronic Prostatits

by Patricia Estrada -
Number of replies: 3

Chronic Prostatitis is a men’s health issue and causes pain or discomfort in men, among other symptoms, and most of the time there is not a causative infection that causes the pain. Integrative therapy can provide improvement of symptoms (Rakel, 2017). Acupuncture has shown to be effective in reducing symptoms including pain and quality of life even over NSAIDs and antibiotics (Küçük et al., 2015). This study was a randomized trial of 54 males with two treatment groups, one for acupuncture and one for medical treatment of levofloxacin and ibuprofen. The Acupuncture treatment group saw more benefit and should be considered as a treatment for prostatitis in med.

Küçük, E. V., Suçeken, F. Y., Bindayı, A., Boylu, U., Onol, F. F., & Gümüş, E. (2015). Effectiveness of acupuncture on chronic prostatitis-chronic pelvic pain syndrome category IIIB patients: a prospective, randomized, nonblinded, clinical trial. Urology, 85(3), 636–640. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2014.11.004

Rakel, D. (2017). Integrative Medicine. Elsevier Health Sciences.

162 words

In reply to Patricia Estrada

Re: Acupuncture for Chronic Prostatits

by Jazel Ruivivar -

Hello Patti,

that is a very interesting study. it is proven to be effective, yet, its not utilized enough. now, with acupuncture, I heard that it takes couple of sessions before it actually starts taking effect. I wonder how many sessions and if the patients are up for that, given that they are in pain and might want immediate relief. but again, very interesting study. I will look more into this. thank you!

Jazel

74 words

by Rakhi Sharma -

Hi Patty,

It was really interesting to read about acupuncture treatment for Chronic Prostatitis. Generally we advise acupuncture for musculoskeletal  issues and pain management. This can be a good alternative therapy  especially for elderly patients for reducing symptoms including pain and to avoid overuse of  NSAIDs and antibiotics.

Thank you for posting this study!

54 words

by Phoebe France Cinco -

Hi Patty,

I think we are just touching the surface of what acupuncture can do! Acupuncture has many uses. Based on the recent post, acupunture can help with pain management, erectile dysfunction, and now chronic prostatitis. Because of this class, I have tried chiropractic therapy; now I am personally interested in acupuncture treatment and its uses. 

Phoebe

57 words