Re: Drug and herbal interaction

by Pushpa Sengupta -
Number of replies: 2

There is an increase in use of complementary and alternative therapies as they are thought to be free of side effects due to their natural origin. However, herbal remedies are complex combinations of bioactive units, which may interact with prescription medications via pharmacokinetic or pharmacodynamic mechanisms and sometimes can lead to life-threatening situations. Especially in diabetes patients are often treated with multiple medications due to different comorbidities, and such patients use antidiabetic medications for their entire lives; thus, it is significant to spread the public awareness of herb interactions with antidiabetic drugs.

Many people often take herbal remedies with oral hypoglycemic agents without sufficient caution. However, co-administered herbs may modify the pharmacokinetic profile of hypoglycemic agents or increase of decrease their pharmacological effects, and thus lead to side effects resulting from failure to regulate blood sugar levels. These risks are particularly serious due to the long-term nature of therapy for diabetic patients (Rehman, Choi, Choe, and Yoo, 2015).

Absorption of drugs can be impaired when herbs that contain hydrocolloidal fibers, gums, and mucilage are taken together. Such products include aloe gel, flaxseed, marshmallow, psyllium, and rhubarb. These herbals can bind to drugs and prevent absorption, and thus reduce systemic availability.

An herb might produce the same effect as a drug and thus enhance this effect when taken together. Additive blood-glucose-lowering effects are produced when agrimony extract is taken with oral hypoglycemics. The blood glucose-lowering effects of antidiabetics can be increased by vegetables like Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) due to its hypoglycemic effects.

The most common interactions of herbs with antidiabetic drugs are those that result in a rise or fall in blood glucose levels, thereby upsetting the control of diabetes. Antidiabetic drugs that have been found to have a probability of interacting with herbal products include CYP2C8 substrates pioglitazone, repaglinide, and rosiglitazone; CYP2C9 substrates glibenclamide, glimepiride, glipizide, nateglinide, and rosiglitazone; CYP2C19 substrate proguanil; and CYP3A4 substrates pioglitazone and repaglinide (Rehman, Choi, Choe, and Yoo, 2015).

However, clinical and experimental data on herb–drug interactions, including antidiabetic-herb interactions, is inadequate, hence more research should be directed towards balanced use of herbal medicines both alone and in combination with conventional medicines.

Reference

Rehman, S. U., Choi, M. S., Choe, K., & Yoo, H. H. (2015). Interactions between herbs and antidiabetics: an overview of the mechanisms, evidence, importance, and management. Archives of pharmacal research, 38(7), 1281-1298.

393 words

In reply to Pushpa Sengupta

by Patricia Estrada -

Hi Pushpa,

I'm also finding that research with supplement-drug or herb-drug interactions are inadequate. It seems that if a patient is on an herbal medication and requires a medication for their diabetes, that careful monitoring is needed. I think the most concerning problem would be hypoglycemia which has poor outcomes for the patient. Your research was thorough though and I appreciate the information.

Thank you,

Patti

66 words

In reply to Pushpa Sengupta

by Kathyrn Libby -

Hello Pushpa,

I tried putting in the aloe vera with some Diabetic meds and found Aloe vera as a drink was not even an option. This makes it hard to give correct information to a patient. I think it is so important for nurse practitioners to have an honest communication with patients and their use herbals. There is so many herbs that can be taken over the counter. I am not sure why people feel that they are safer or "better" then FDA approved drugs.

Jill

86 words