CAM & Children

CAM & Children

by Erik Contreras -
Number of replies: 1

Childhood obesity has been an epidemic in the United States. More than 25% of children are considered obese. There are various factors that are associated with children developing childhood obesity such as race and socioeconomic status (McCance & Huether, 2006 p1237).  The pathophysiology of obesity is multisystem and complex (McCance & Huether, 2006 p1478).  When the amount of intake is greater than expenditure, disrupting the normal cycle of adipokines (leptin, adiponectin, resistin, visfatin, vaspin). One of the biggest changes is when leptin becomes infective in letting the brain know that the person is full, and overeating becomes dominant leading to weight gain (McCance & Huether, 2006 p14781479).  If children begin this cycle at an early age, the disruption in the normal cycle of metabolic regulation. They encounter adult disease at an earlier age, such as hypertension and diabetes.

For the population I choose, the most fitting alternative therapy would be mediation or yoga.  Ethical there are some complimentary medicines for example herbals, which have not been used on children. For children, engaging in these types of alternative therapy would not hinder their quality of life, as compared to herbal medicines. However the risk and benefits need to be discussed with the patients, in this case the parents need to be aware of any possible risk (Kaley-Isley, Peterson, Fischer,  Peterson,  2010 p 183). There is limited amount of studies that looking into yoga and weight reduction; there have been some cases studies. There is potential, however it would require parents allowing their children to participate.

Kaley-Isley, L. C., Peterson, J., Fischer, C., & Peterson, E. (2010). Yoga as a complementary therapy for children and adolescents: a guide for clinicians. Psychiatry (Edgmont (Pa. : Township)), 7(8), 20-32.

McCance, K. L., & Huether, S. E. (2006). Pathophysiology: The biological basis for disease in adults and children. St. Louis: Elsevier Mosby.

In reply to Erik Contreras

Re: CAM & Children

by Patricia Estrada -

Hi Erik,

I'm also doing my case study focusing on children, however, I'm looking at children with recurrent abdominal pain. There's usually not an organic etiology for the pain, and they have found that there is a large psychological component. While yoga has not been shown to be effective for these children, they did find that meditation, hypnotherapy and biofeedback show promising results to reduce frequency and severity of the abdominal pain. I personally feel like these interventions that a child does to help them focus on their personal health and wellness will have benefit whether it's 'proven' or not, including meditation and yoga. With all of these interventions, there is little to no risk for the patient, so if they were interested, I would recommend it. 

Thanks for your thoughts,

Patti