Discussion 3: Naturopathy

Discussion 3: Naturopathy

by Rakhi Sharma -
Number of replies: 1

Identify pathophysiology changes related to the age range and topic/disease.

Pressure ulcer (PU) is a debilitating, inflammation, sore or an ulcerative wound most

commonly formed over the boney prominence (Mosby, 2009, P. 1510). Wounds and pressure

ulcers are becoming a significant problem in all healthcare settings. Pressure ulcers in elderly are

caused by frailty, immobility, malnutrition co-morbidities and dementia (Mosby, 2009, P. 1510).

Pressure ulcers can cause major burden to geriatric patients, including negative psychological,

physical, social and financial consequences that can affect health and health-related quality of

life.

Stages of Pressure Ulcers

Pressure Ulcers develop in 4 stages

Stage 1: the upper layer of the skin and the symptoms include pain, burning or itching in the skin.

Stage 2: In this stage, ulcers spread a little deeper and the symptoms include discolored skin with open sore.

Stage 3: By this stage, the ulcer reaches the fat tissues with crater-like appearance and bad odor. There may be yellow (slough) or black (eschar) tissue present.

Stage 4: This is the most serious stage, where the patient’s muscles and ligaments could also be affected. The symptoms of this stage include deep, open sores and at times visible tendons, muscles or bones.

Identify how the changes might be affected using naturopathic medicine (research article). 

The natural antiseptic properties of honey soothe the mild bed sores in the skin. It can provide relief from pain, reduce itching and promote healing . Honey can also reduce the risk of infection.

According to a study published in Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing in 2005, healing in subjects who had used honey dressing was almost 4 times the rate of healing when compared to another anti-microbial dressing.

According to a study “ Managing Pressures Ulcers in a Resource Constrained Situation: A Holistic Approach” Turmeric accelerates the healing process of bed sores. It also has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antioxidant properties that help the patient’s body deal with the symptoms and fight infection.

Reference

Dam, A., Mohanty, U., Datta, N., & Bandhopadhyay, C. (2011). Managing pressures ulcers in a resource constrained situation: A holistic approach. Indian Journal of Palliative Care, 17(3), 255. doi:10.4103/0973-1075.92354

Güneş, Ü Y., & Eşer, I. (2007). Effectiveness of a Honey Dressing for Healing Pressure Ulcers. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 34(2), 184-190. doi:10.1097/01.won.0000264833.11108.35

Mosby's dictionary of medicine, nursing & health professions (8th ed.). (2009). St. Louis, MO:                Mosby. Page- 1510

403 words

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

Re: Discussion 3: Naturopathy

by Pushpa Sengupta -

Hi Rakhi,

I strongly believe myself in naturopathy as I had experienced it myself first hand. Especially turmeric. I had a bad ankle sprains couple times with soft tissue injuries. I had taken warm milk with turmeric at bedtime and did not take any pain meds. I was really amazed when I woke up next day, I had no pain at all. So I feel it is really a wonder spice.

I have also used the red sandalwood paste during chicken pox infection for the pox marks, which I had so many on my face when I suffered from herpes zoster infection. This paste was really helpful, it had cooling effect and I was left with no scars from the pox.

As we all know most of the drugs are plant based so using these natural products are a boon when you know yourself.

Thank you.

146 words