Headaches and CAM

Headaches and CAM

by Erik Contreras -
Number of replies: 1

Chinese medicine's goal acupuncture is to restore blood flow and qi in the human body (Heinen et al., 2013). This same study found that prophylaxis acupuncture reduced frequency and intensity in migraine headaches. Acupuncture has been proven to relief migraines and tension headaches in adolescents. Gottschiling et al. study found that there was an improvement in decreasing headaches in teens. The duration of headaches also decreased in time. The study used laser acupuncture versus a placebo, after 4 treatments the laser acupuncture yield positive results.

Gottschling, S., Meyer, S., Gribova, I., Distler, L., Berrang, J., Gortner, L., . . . Shamdeen, G. M. (2008). Laser acupuncture in children with headache: A double-blind, randomized, bicenter, placebo-controlled trial. Pain, 137(2), 405-412. doi:10.1016/j.pain.2007.10.004

Heinen, F., Kruse, S., Borggraefe, I., Bonfert, M., Gaul, C., Gottschling, S., . . . Schetzek, S. (2013). Headache in Children: Update on Complementary Treatments. Neuropediatrics, 44(01), 025-033. doi:10.1055/s-0032-1333435

In reply to Erik Contreras

Re: Headaches and CAM

by Patricia Estrada -

Hi Erik,

My case study is about recurrent abdominal pain in children and an associated symptom is headaches. While acupuncture hasn't been studied in relation to the abdominal pain, I see here that it has been studied in relation to headaches among adolescents. I'll have to look into this more for my case study too and see if there is anything more in elementary school children. Although, as Jazel brought up in one of her replies, acupuncture in younger children might be a more difficult research topic. 

Thanks for this!

Patti