Naturopathy and back pain

Naturopathy and back pain

by Phoebe France Cinco -
Number of replies: 2

Acute and chronic back pain can cause physiological pain and psychological problems. The acute back pain if not managed well can become a chronic issue. Constant pain can result in depression, stress, and anxiety. The prognosis of back pain is correlated with social and psychological factors. Catastrophizing and “fear avoidance beliefs” are a maladaptive coping mechanism that increases pain and discomfort (Rakel, 2018). Naturopath clinicians evaluate the patient's lifestyle, diet, social factors, and self-care strategies as a tool for providing a treatment the encompasses the patient as a whole rather than a specific disease (Rakel, 2018). In the recent findings, back pain has been associated with increased disability, expense, and the top cause of morbidity in the United States. In back pain accompanied by depression, the use of naturopathic therapies such as acupuncture has been proven to be cost-effective compared to standard treatment alone (Grace, Reilly, de Permentier, Vlass & Zhang, 2018).

Reference

Grace, S., Reilly, W., de Permentier, P., Vlass, A., & Zhang, D. (2018). The Cost-Effectiveness of Natural Medicine: An literature review. Journal of the Australian Traditional-Medicine Society, 24(1), 14–19. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.csusm.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ccm&AN=129029803&site=ehost-live

204 words

In reply to Phoebe France Cinco

Re: Naturopathy and back pain

by Patricia Estrada -

Hi Phoebe,

From the few studies we've read over the last few years about acupuncture, I've become quite the believer in its recommendation to be a part of integrative therapy for chronic pain. I've recommended my dad see an acupuncturist for his bone pain as he has multiple myeloma and he seems open to it, especially as part of an integrative approach.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Patti

67 words

In reply to Phoebe France Cinco

Re: Naturopathy and back pain

by Dominic Lomibao -

Hello Phoebe, 

I agree that this integrative approach (acupuncture) is an effective way to treat back pain. It is also inexpensive. I have chronic back pain and I have done acupuncture. I find it effective and it should be more used in treating chronic back pain. 

46 words