Discussion 1

Discussion 1

by Rakhi Sharma -
Number of replies: 3

1. Describe your interests and expertise in the nursing field, along with your chosen specialization.

My interests and expertise in the nursing field are mainly in adult and geriatric population, age ranging from 18 and above. All my experience has been in acute care adult medical PCU. I would love to specialize in wound care. Wounds and pressure ulcers are becoming a significant problem in all healthcare settings.

2. Choose the age range that you are most interested in researching throughout the course. Post your first and second choice for age range, or indicate if you are open to any age range. The age ranges are listed below:
Birth–12 years.
12–18 years.
18–65 years.
Over 65 years.

I would be interested in mainly researching on the age range 18 - over 65 years.

3. Choose the disease process, clinical problem or condition that you are most interested in focusing on for this course, and post it in this discussion.
       I am interested in wound care. Wounds and pressure ulcers are becoming a significant problem in all healthcare settings. Pressure ulcers in elderly and disabled are caused by frailty, immobility, malnutrition co-morbidities and dementia. Pressure ulcers can be a major burden to patients, including negative psychological, physical, social, and financial consequences that can affect health and health-related quality of life. I believe that Nurse practitioners can play an integral role in prevention and management of pressure ulcers, I am definitely interested in this specialization. 

245 words

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

Re: Discussion 1

by Pushpa Sengupta -

Hi Rakhi,

Wound care is quite interesting, but never heard about Complementary and Alternative medicine being used in wound care. So would be something new to learn from your findings. 

30 words

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

by Mary Sandoval -

Hi Rakhi, Yes I agree that wounds and pressure ulcers are becoming a significant problem for many patients. In the American Indian Community healthcare clinics the number of patients having chronic wounds is also increasing. I would be interested in learning about allternative and complimentary modalities for treatment, especially for those who may have be exhausted by dealing with this chronic health issue. 

63 words

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

by Linnea Axman -

Dear Rakhi:

I will be interested to see the integrative therapies (therapies for which there is consistent high-quality research) for would care in people 18 - 65 years.

Thank you

Dr. Axman

31 words