Integrative Health in Pediatrics

Integrative Health in Pediatrics

by Pushpa Sengupta -
Number of replies: 2

a. Select one current high-quality research article that informs pediatric integrative healthcare. The research should be specific to one pediatric healthcare problem/issue.

b. Post a discussion that supports the use of this IH practice in pediatrics.

Use of essential oils in treating any symptoms due to a disease condition is known as aromatherapy. The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy defines aromatherapy as the art and science of using naturally extracted aromatic essences from plants to balance, harmonize, and promote the health of body, mind, and soul (National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy, 2016). Aromatherapy can be used as first line or an adjuvant therapy. Aromatherapy has been used to treat common symptoms such as nausea, anxiety, sleeplessness in different patient population (Conlon et al., 2017).

An evidence-based project was conducted at Midwestern medical center in pediatric unit. After an educational session was conducted by a national expert on aromatherapy the nursing staff of the unit started using 3 essential oils mandarin, spearmint and lavender for the pediatric patients. These oils were thought to be safe and helped with common symptoms like nausea, pain, anxiety and fatigue. Patients and family were instructed to open the seal of the bag and hold it approximately 1 inch from the nose without touching the cotton ball or the essential oil. The effectiveness of therapy was assessed within minutes and repetition was allowed as many times the patient preferred to do so. If they were sensitive, the bag was removed from their room. The nurse assessed the initial effect and the follow up effect. This pilot study was received as positive measure by most of the clients (Conlon et al., 2017).

The availability of essential oils may indeed enhance the patient experience by having as another selection to address common patient symptoms. Though the guidelines may vary between organization, but the integrative and holistic principles offer a strong framework to endure and explore a wide range of therapeutic modalities such as clinical aromatherapy (Conlon et al., 2017).

Reference

Conlon, P. M., Haack, K. M., Rodgers, N. J., Dion, L. J., Cambern, K. L., Rohlik, G. M., ... & Cutshall, S. M. (2017). Introducing Essential Oils into Pediatric and Other Practices at an Academic Medical Center. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 35(4), 389-396.

In reply to Pushpa Sengupta

Re: Integrative Health in Pediatrics

by Jazel Ruivivar -

Hello Pushpa,

thank you for sharing this study. I am curious though, you mentioned: "The nurse assessed the initial effect and the follow up effect. This pilot study was received as positive measure by most of the clients". what is the actual outcome of the study? I know you mentioned "positive", but how effective is it. there has to be a scale or some form of measurement pre and post treatment. with children though, I am also curious if this is more of an immediate and temporary relief, rather than a longer lasting effect. I love aroma therapy, but for me, it feels good as long as I am within the smelling range, but when its gone, I feel that the effectiveness disappears. wonder if its the same with children. thank you for sharing!

Jazel

In reply to Pushpa Sengupta

Re: Integrative Health in Pediatrics

by Kathyrn Libby -

Pushpa, 

I feel there has been a big push form social media that encourages the use of essential oils in children. I think they are great for stress and anxiety management, but they should not take the place of a  doctor visit.  Pediatrics really need strong collaboration in both Eastern and Western Medicine. 

Jill