Honey for Cough in Children

Honey for Cough in Children

by Patricia Estrada -
Number of replies: 3

Honey may be an integrative health recommendation for children with the symptom of cough (Oduwole, Meremikwu, Oyo-Ita, & Udoh, 2014). Honey has been shown to help with cough in children more so than no treatment at all. Many children are unable to take over the counter cough medicines as they are not recommended for children under 6; therefore, honey may be a good and safe option. Surprisingly though, as a parent, getting a child to take honey is not always possible.

Oduwole, O., Meremikwu, M. M., Oyo-Ita, A., & Udoh, E. E. (2014). Honey for acute cough in children. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (12), CD007094. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007094.pub4

Rakel, D. (2017). Integrative Medicine. Elsevier Health Sciences.

In reply to Patricia Estrada

Re: Honey for Cough in Children

by Rakhi Sharma -

Hi Patti ,

It was really interesting to read your post. My topic for this class is the use of honey for the treatment of pressure ulcers. Honey has had a valued place in traditional medicine for centuries. Many cultures including mine have used honey as remedy for nearly every illness. I remember when I was a child my mother  use to give us  honey with lemon during flu season and honey for cold symptoms. 

Thanks Patti, I enjoyed reading your study article!

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

by Pushpa Sengupta -

Hello Patti and Rakhi,

Reading both your posts was very interesting  and I wanted to share another piece about honey. Another fact about honey in India is when a child is born 1/2 teaspoon of honey is the first thing given to the newborn infant in most of the ethnic groups. It is believed that honey helps with elimination of meconium easily from the newborn's stomach and intestine and the child will be hungry and breast feeding can be started soon. I had given honey to my daughter when she was born too.

I still add one teaspoon of honey  to the Kava which I prepare by boiling water with basil leaves, ginger, 4-5 peppercorn crushed at my house for anyone who gets cold and cough and it really helps in soothing the throat and acts as expectorant too.

Thank you.

In reply to Patricia Estrada

by Phoebe France Cinco -

Hi Patty, 

The honey for cough reminded me of the time when I have completed a clinical rotation at Fallbrook Community Health. In the clinic we were giving out free samples of Honey for cough to parents for their kids. There are different brands of honey for cough designed for the pediatric population. Honey can also reduce inflammation on the skin. Honey is used in many facial products because of its skin benefits.

Phoebe