Altitude Sickness

Altitude Sickness

by Kathyrn Libby -
Number of replies: 2

Discussion 6

There has not been any current research on the effect of spirituality/religion and or mind/body on the prevention of altitude sickness. There is a peer-reviewed study that was completed in 2007 that evaluated yoga and successful high-altitude adaption. Bernardi et al. looked at 4 groups of people all medication free. The group was divided as followed; Caucasian yoga instructors, Himalayan Sherpas, Himalayan Buddhist monks and a control group of Caucasians without yoga experience. 

The authors found the subjects with a practice of yoga adapted to high-altitude similarly to the monks and better than the Sherpas. Those that practice yoga are able to maintain satisfactory oxygenation without increased respiratory demand.

This study supports the practice of yoga as a preventative measure for altitude sickness.

Reference:

Bernardi, L., Passino, C., Spadacini, G., Bonfichi, M., Arcaini, L., Malcovati, G., . . . Bernasconi, C. (2007). Reduced hypoxic ventilatory response with preserved blood oxygenation in yoga trainees and Himalayan Buddhist monks at altitude: Evidence of a different adaptive strategy? European Journal of Applied Physiology, 99(5), 511-518.

174 words

In reply to Kathyrn Libby

Re: Altitude Sickness

by Patricia Estrada -

Hi Jill,

That study seems super interesting. I just listened to a motivational speaker talking about his mountain climbing expeditions. He talked a lot about meditation and focused breathing and moving when they are on the mountain so I can see how something like yoga would be a benefit.

Thank you!

Patti 

52 words

In reply to Kathyrn Libby

Re: Altitude Sickness

by Rakhi Sharma -

Hi Jill, 

I enjoyed reading the study you have posted. Many studies have shown that practicing yoga asanas (postures),help to reduced symptoms of multiple chronic conditions like chronic pain, anxiety. I would love to learn more about the positive effects that yoga has to treat the symptoms of altitude sickness . I really like your topic. 

Thanks for your research!

- Rakhi 

61 words