GAD and Yoga

GAD and Yoga

by Jazel Ruivivar -
Number of replies: 1

GAD is a common disorder associated with significant distress and interference. Although cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has been shown to the most effective form of psychotherapy, few patients receive or have access to this intervention. Yoga therapy offers another promising, yet under-researched, intervention that is gaining increasing popularity in the general public, as an anxiety reduction intervention. 

Kundalini yoga is a well-known, accessible yoga practice that includes physical postures and exercises, breathing techniques, relaxation exercises, and meditation practices. Yoga entails the cultivation of physical and psychological health through a variety of techniques including physical posture exercises, breathing exercises, relaxation strategies, and meditation practice. As mindfulness based interventions comprise several of these components, we hypothesize that increases in mindfulness will function as a core treatment mechanism in yoga. 

Reference:

Hofmann, S. G., Curtiss, J., Khalsa, S. B., Hoge, E., Rosenfield, D., Bui, E., . . . Simon, N. (2015). Yoga for generalized anxiety disorder: Design of a randomized controlled clinical trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials,44, 70-76. doi:10.1016/j.cct.2015.08.003

167 words

In reply to Jazel Ruivivar

Re: GAD and Yoga

by Kathyrn Libby -

Jazel,

I think at different times we all suffer from anxiety. I know I can feel overwhelmed and need an outlet to manage my anxiety. Yoga, especially Kundalini, really has good breathing techniques. The commitment and unfamilarity of being in a non-busy state of being can cause increased anxiety at times. Being alone with yourself in a state of meditation creates change from the inside. It would be an interesting study to complete a study on the effect of Yoga and GAD.

Jill

83 words