generalized anxiety disorder and integrative health

generalized anxiety disorder and integrative health

by Jazel Ruivivar -
Number of replies: 1

As for my topic, I chose generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) in adults ages 18-65 instead because it may benefit more from integrative health. The key feature of GAD is worry and apprehension that is out of proportion to the circumstances. The worries are typically widespread, involve everyday issues and have a shifting focus of concern. The affected person finds the worries difficult to control, and this can result in decreased occupational and social functioning (Tyrer & Baldwin, 2006).

Based on limited data from clinical trials and our clinical experience, we suggest first-line treatment of most adults with an anxiety-related disorder with integrative cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) that addresses both disorders rather than other treatments. The evidence in support of integrated CBT for these co-occurring disorders is limited and has yielded mixed results.

Integrated CBT — Integrated cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) combines cognitive and behavioral interventions for both anxiety-related disorders. The components of integrative CBT in these disorders have varied in published trials, but typically include education and coping skills for GAD, and exposure or other behavioral interventions for GAD.

In general, clinical trials of integrated CBT for co-occurring anxiety-related disorders have shown mixed results compared with treatment as usual or active interventions. Larger randomized trials are needed comparing monotherapy with integrative or sequential treatments, including medications, CBT, and other psychotherapies

As for the ethical and legal issues with GAD in adult, full thorough examination and follow up is required prior to referrals to CBT to ensure safety and evaluation of the treatment. It is also advised to combine CBT with medications for full effectiveness. 

references:

Grant, B. F., Stinson, F. S., Dawson, D. A., Chou, S. P., Dufour, M. C., Compton, W., . . . Kaplan, K. (2004). Prevalence and Co-occurrence of Substance Use Disorders and IndependentMood and Anxiety Disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry,61(8), 807. doi:10.1001/archpsyc.61.8.807

Tyrer, P., & Baldwin, D. (2006). Generalised anxiety disorder. The Lancet,368(9553), 2156-2166. doi:10.1016/s0140-6736(06)69865-6

In reply to Jazel Ruivivar

Re: generalized anxiety disorder and integrative health

by Phoebe France Cinco -

Hi Jazel

The topic of your choice, generalized anxiety disorder, have some similar treatment style with my chosen topic of muscular pain or acute/chronic pain. Cognitive behavior treatment can be used for pain management as well. In addition, some people with chronic pain also has anxiety disorder that can exacerbate their pain levels. Some medication for anxiety are also given to people with pain because of muscle relaxant result. I cannot wait to hear more about your topic. Thank you. 

Phoebe