Discussion 2: Ethics in Integrative Healthcare

Discussion 2: Ethics in Integrative Healthcare

by Rakhi Sharma -
Number of replies: 1

Pressure ulcers, diabetic ulcers and chronic wounds can have a significant impact on a patient’s quality of life. Wound healing is a complex biological process in human body, involving four major steps like homeostasis, inflammation, proliferation, and remodeling (Mosby, 2009, P. 1510).

Honey has had a valued place in traditional medicine for centuries. Honey has been employed in wound care since ancient times. According to one of the studies by Al-Waili, many cultures and ethnic groups has incorporated and used honey as antibacterial to treat different illness and wound healing. China and India and many other nations have used honey as remedy for nearly every illness (Al-Waili et al, 2011). During the first part of the 20th century, honey dressings were part of everyday wound care, but with the discovery of antibiotics in the 1930s and 1940s their use declined. With the advent of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, honey is now being used more frequently (Al-Waili et al, 2011).

Another study ‘Effects of natural honey on polymicrobial culture of various human pathogens” investigated activity of honey towards a high dose of single or polymicrobial culture. Specimens of Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), Streptococcus pyogenes (S. pyogenes), Escherichia coli (E. coli) and Candida albicans (C. albicans) were cultured in 10 ml of 10-100% (wt/v) honey diluted in broth.  The results concluded that Honey (30-70%) prevents growth of 10 µl specimens of all the isolates. Greater reduction in growth of E. coli was observed when cultured with S. aureus. Culturing of S. aureus with S. pyogenes, C. albicans, or E. coli increased its sensitivity to honey. S. aureus and S. pyogenes increased sensitivity of C. albicans to honey while E. coli and C. albicans decreased sensitivity of S. pyogenes ( Al-Waili et al, 012)

Though honey is an effective substance in the management of wounds and may be used at any phase of healing for any types of wounds, but providers have to be very careful when providing dressings or ointments with honey considering the patient’s allergies to some of its components. More studies are exploring other aspects of honey activity such as its effect on blood sugar, body weight, lipid profile. Many clinical and preclinical studies are being conducted to assess the potential influence of honey on diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular risk factors.

References

Al-Waili, N. S., Salom, K., Butler, G., & Ghamdi, A. A. (2011). Honey and Microbial                               Infections: A Review Supporting the Use of Honey for Microbial Control. Journal of Medicinal Food, 14(10), 1079-1096. doi:10.1089/jmf.2010.0161

Al-Waili, N. S., Al-Waili, F. S., Akmal, M., Ali, A., Salom, K. Y., & Ghamdi, A. A. (2014).Effects of natural honey on polymicrobial culture of various human pathogens. Archives of Medical Science, 2, 246-250. doi:10.5114/aoms.2012.28603

Al-Waili, N., Salom, K., Al-Ghamdi, A., Ansari, M. J., Al-Waili, A., & Al-Waili, T. (2013). Honey and Cardiovascular Risk Factors, in Normal Individuals and in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus or Dyslipidemia. Journal of Medicinal Food, 16(12), 1063-1078. doi:10.1089/jmf.2012.0285

Mosby's dictionary of medicine, nursing & health professions (8th ed.). (2009). St. Louis, MO:                Mosby. Page- 1510

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

Re: Discussion 2: Ethics in Integrative Healthcare

by Christine Lo -

I thought that it was very interesting what you wrote about needing to be careful about recommending honey due to allergies.  In my discussion post I had mentioned the need for care in preventing overdoses of supplements, however allergies never crossed my mind or any of the literature I was referencing.  I think that this is something important to keep in mind, that people may have sensitivities to various integrative treatments we as providers may wish to recommend.