Discussion 4: Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine

Discussion 4: Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine

by Rakhi Sharma -
Number of replies: 2

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Ayurveda has become a complementary and alternative medicine worldwide and has gradually been adopted to treat chronic ulcers.

Elderly patients and patients with various internal systemic diseases commonly have poor nutritional status and weak immunity. As recovery of wound can be affected by various factors, these patients might not achieve curative effects after regular treatment of their wounds. Many wounds could also be accompanied by infection, gangrene, and pyogenic osteomyelitis.

In TCM, it is believed that the pathogenesis of chronic ulcer is due to a deficiency of qi and blood, caused by prolonged disease course for healing of the skin wound. External therapy is one of the most characteristics and preponderant treatments of traditional Chinese medicine (Wu, M., Li .et al, 2018). A study conducted by Mingfen Wu, “Microbial Diversity of Chronic Wound and Successful Management of Traditional Chinese Medicine” studied wound samples from 35 patients and analyzed bacteria variation before and after traditional Chinese Medicine treatment by 16s rRNA sequencing. Patients with chronic ulcers achieved a positive effect after traditional chinese medicine treatment (skin-producing ointment).

Ayurvedic purification therapy called Panchakarma is used in treating multiple illness including wounds. Biopurifactory measures (panchakarma) of Ayurveda claims to provide better quality of life after treatment. One of the studies ‘Assessment of Quality of Life in Patients With Skin Disorders Undergoing Ayurvedic Panchakarma (Bio purification) as Management” by H. Deshpande was conducted to provide evidence in patients with skin disorders, undergoing Ayurvedic treatment. Sixty patients with skin disorder, who underwent purification therapies like therapeutic emesis and therapeutic purgation, were randomly placed in 2 groups to assess quality of life. Quality of life assessment was done with the help of Skindex-29 among the patients before and after Ayurvedic purification therapy. A statistically significant improvement in the quality of life domains-emotions, functioning, and symptoms-after the Ayurvedic management was observed with P value <.001. Study concludes that there is improvement in quality of life among patients with skin disease after undergoing Ayurveda purification therapies.

References:

Deshpande, H., S., Kavita, M. B., Tripathy, T. B., & Chaturvedi, A. (2015). Assessment of Quality of Life in Patients With Skin Disorders Undergoing Ayurvedic Panchakarma (Biopurification) as Management. Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine,21(3), 215-220. doi:10.1177/2156587215615026

Wu, M., Li, Y., Guo, D., Kui, G., Li, B., Deng, Y., & Li, F. (2018). Microbial Diversity of Chronic Wound and Successful Management of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine,2018, 1-13. doi:10.1155/2018/9463295

412 words

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

Re: Discussion 4: Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine

by Patricia Estrada -

Hi Rakhi,

The thought that purging and emesis as a treatment for ulcers is interesting to me. I don't know anything about the proposed treatment but I know that wound healing is strongly associated with nutrition status. I'm sure the interventions are tightly controlled so as not to compromise nutrition but I still can't wrap my head around it. 

I had never heard of this treatment before. Thanks for sharing.

Patti

71 words

In reply to Rakhi Sharma

Re: Discussion 4: Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine

by Phoebe France Cinco -

Hi Rahki

Traditional Chinese Medicine such as acupuncture, herbs, and emollient has many therapeutic purposes. In my topic about back pain, many choose acupuncture to help reduce pain. Reading your topic on a traditional Chinese medicine ointment can help with wound ulcers was interesting. Traditional Chinese Medicine has been practiced for over 2000 years. There is an obvious positive wanted result in this type of therapy.

Phoebe

67 words