Discussion 1

Discussion 1

by Mary Sandoval -
Number of replies: 2

I am most interested in focusing on pain management for this course. I hope to assist my patients to improve their quality of life during the experience of chronic pain.

As a new RN, I was most interested in pediatric patients, working in a pediatric hematology/oncology day clinic. During my experience with pediatric cancer patients I especially became concerned about the comfort of these patients and their pain management. I recall during nursing school researching pain control during my pediatric course, there was a new study being conducted to validate that pediatric patients, although at times could not fully express their need for pain control, did have this need. Imagine at that time to think there were those who believed due to physiologic differences from the adult, a pediatric patient experienced pain differently, which was interpreted as less pain. Next, I became employed as a public health nurse with the focus of care on the maternal Child Health population, women of childbearing age, during their prenatal period and with their children up to age 3 years. I have enjoyed caring for patients, mostly in their homes, and providing health promotion information to families, one-on-one, or at times in a small group setting.

My 1st choice population is those from Birth--12 years.

Over the years, my current nursing position as a public health nurse includes patients of all ages. I enjoy working withthe elders as well, with managementof chronic illness, with support and health information. I would like to focus on alternative and complimentary modalities for pain management experinced by the elderly population. I am concerned with the safety of the elderly who are treated with conventional pain medications, or those whose pain is not being managed well due to safety constraints.

My 2nd choice population is those over 65 years.

301 words

In reply to Mary Sandoval

Re: Discussion 1

by Linnea Axman -

Dear Mary:

Your post was well-written. I think it would be great if you would present a pediatric case for pain control. Please make sure that your recommendations are evidence based using a similar grading scale as that used in your Integrative Healthcare (IH) text for this course or that are based on systematic review or more  than one well-done randomized controlled trials (RCT) with similar results.

Thank you

Dr. Axman

71 words

In reply to Mary Sandoval

Re: Discussion 1

by Christine Lo -

Hi Mary, I think that this would be a great patient population for you to write your paper about.  I feel as if most of the students will be choosing the adult or geriatric population, so it'll be great to read about some of the research that you will be presenting.

51 words